Monday, July 8, 2013

Germany: East German Paprika Chicken, Kale and Sausage, and Black Forest Cherry Cake

Last night I made German food! It turned out delicious! I started some cooking and preparation the night before. You have to marinate the chicken for 24 hours and I started making a layer of the cake. For the chicken, I had to leave out the onions since my husband is allergic and I substituted coconut milk for dairy milk (since I don't drink cows milk). 


East German Paprika Chicken:


Serves 2-4



Chicken Marinade:

2 chicken breasts (or 4 - depending on how many people you are serving)
1/2 tsp. Salt
- TRY: Eden Foods Sea Salt -- 14 oz
1/4 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tbsp. Paprika (Hungarian)
- My FAV: Simply Organic Paprika Ground Certified Organic, 2.96 Ounce Container
2-3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Chopped Parsley
1 Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. Oil



Sauce:
  • Oil
  • 1 Onion, Sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. Paprika
  • 1 Cup Apple Juice
  • 1 Cup Roasted Red Peppers from a jar
  • 1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
  • 1 Cup Milk (I used coconut milk since I don't drink dairy milk)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Flour
  • 1 Apple, Grated


Combine the marinade ingredients and marinate up to 24 hours.

Heat oil in a large pan. Add in chicken with the marinade (you can slice chicken or leave it whole). Brown chicken in the pan. Remove chicken and add in onion slices and cook for a few minutes. Add in apple juice, roasted peppers and chicken. Cook until the chicken is done. 

While that is cooking, mix the milk with the vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. 

Once chicken is done, remove it. Mix the flour with some of the milk to make a paste. Add in the paste, milk, and grated apple to the sauce. Boil for a few minutes and then serve with the chicken. 

Kale and Sausage: Gruenkohl und Pinkel (North German):

Serve 4-6



  • 12 Oz. Kale, cleaned and Chopped
  • 2 Pieces of Bacon, Chopped
  • 1/2 Onion, Chopped
  • 2 Tsp. Beef Bouillon
  • 1 Tbsp. Mustard
  • Pepper
  • Sausages (6-7, or however many you want!)


Blanch the kale for 1 minute in boiling water, then drain. Brown the bacon in the pan, and saute the onion. Add in the kale and cook for a few minutes. Add in water and beef bouillon. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. 

Add in the mustard and stir. Put the sausages on top of the kale and simmer for 30 more minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste once it is done cooking. 

This dish turned out wayyy better than I thought kale could be. Enjoy!



Black Forest Cherry Cake:

So, I'm not very good at making cakes. I've only made a few cakes in my life and they turned out pretty yummy, but not too pretty. Once again, my Black Forest Cherry Cake did not turn out anything like what it is suppose to look like. I really don't get why I suck so bad at making cakes because I follow instructions, but I've learned to accept it haha. I'm too embarrassed to post the picture of my cake because it looks really weird. The cake was kind of complicated (at least to me) so I will be posting the links to the recipe I followed. Hopefully you make a prettier cake!


Black Forest Cherry Cake

Here are additional links for separate recipes for the cake layers and the cream filling:

Torte Cream

Biskuit Torte





No comments:

Post a Comment